The U.S. doesn’t have testing guidelines specifically for people who trade sex for money. U.S. heterosexual adult film performers (who engage in unprotected oral, anal & vaginal sex) are required to be tested on a monthly basis. Australia recommends testing for commercial sex workers at least every 3 months.  Some health clinics recommend testing every six weeks. Some countries, like England and New Zealand, do not have generalized recommendations for how often commercial sex workers should get tested.

We recommend you get tested every 3-6 months if you’re engaging in regular, protected intercourse with multiple partners. It’s smart to get tested more frequently if you have unprotected oral, vagina, or anal sex or a condom breaks. And DO get tested if you have any symptoms.

If you have unprotected oral sex with multiple partners, it’s recommend you ask for an oral swab for gonorrhea and chlamydia, as urine tests do not predictably test oral forms of either.

In terms of what to be screened for, Canada recommends sex workers get vaccinated for Hep B and Hep C, and suggests regular testing for Syphilis, HIV, Gonorrhea, Chlamydia, Vaginitis/vaginosis, and HPV. Australia recommends regular testing for HIV, Hep A, HepB, HVC, Syphillis, Gonorrhea & Chlamydia (Urine test, oral/anal swab if you engage in anal or unprotected oral sex), and Hep C for sex workers who also use injected drugs.

Ultimately, how often you get tested is up to you, and what is best for your own health varies based on your own behavior and your clients’ behavior. If you consistently and correctly use condoms for oral, anal and vaginal sex with every partner (including non-clients) and use a new condom for each new sex act, your risk of contracting non-skin-born STIs (STIs other than Herpes & HPV) are very low…but it’s better to be safe than sorry.


Back to the Health & Safety FAQ Mainpage!